There was an error in this gadget

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Forms the Easy Way

Scheduling surgeries at the hospital has become somewhat painful due to none other than hand writing issues. I have decent handwriting, and I print so as to make it that much more legible. Still, every 3rd or 4th OR scheduling form ultimately bounces back to us for clarification or re-do based, no doubt, on legibility. I suggested that the hospital make the booking forms available on-line, and they said "great idea", but nothing happened. Here's how I do it now:
  • OmniPage 5.1 ($89.00, Staples)
  • Forms are scanned in and then converted to digitally amendable forms on my computer
  • We configured the forms so that my information is stored and automatically entered into the form without the need for duplication of data entry.
  • My staff enters the patient demographic data and insurance information
  • I enter the diagnosis and code (if I know the code off hand) and the procedures and CPT codes (if I know them off hand).
  • The form is saved in the "OR scheduling directory" and the patients chart
  • We then "print to efax" and the form is faxed directly from desktop to OR scheduling office

We just began doing it and the increase in efficiency is readily apparent. Plus, I enjoy home grown solutions, though hat tip to Sunrise Urology for the OmniPage tip.

Thanks,

The IU.