Thursday, May 22, 2008

A hidden cost of an EMR

EMRs are energy suckers. If you have and manage your own server, the energy requirements can be enormous. I have 5 work stations, all networked, and they all remain on 24/7. I can turn them off, but I often need to access them remotely. I don't have a server and am thankful for that. Servers require large amounts of energy to run, cool, and maintain.

If you use windows based workstations, you may wish to adjust the power schemes to save money.
Here's how:
  1. Start
  2. Control Panel
  3. Power Options
  4. Power Schemes
  5. Select the one you want
I tend to put the lesser used computers into hibernation mode after 20 minutes of idleness. Hibernation allows the computer to stay on, but at lower power-usage. The computer does not need to be re-booted and it will save projects between hibernation cycles.

In this era of rapidly increasing energy expense, little things will go a long way.

The IU.