Forget everything about how you used to do things. Just let it go! When you adopt a high-end EMR product, you'll find that business as usual is over, and forever.
- Workflow: Old way: front desk staff checks in patients, then doc takes the entire history. New way: patients can check themselves in and staff takes the majority of the history, such as the PMH, Allergies, Social History etc. Doc reviews, completes, and cognates.
- Back-end: Old way: complete charge sheet, give it to back end staff, they enter charges, submit claim. New way: after the encounter, doc completes the note, signs, and voila, off it goes to the clearinghouse. Billing staff now freed up to "work" the claims.
- Scheduling: Old way: patients call, overload phone lines, and staff assists in booking while waiting room fills up. New way: patients book themselves on-line, enter their own information, doctors phone lines freed up, staff freed up.
- Precriptions: Old way: scribble, give to patient, often gets lost or handwriting issues, leads to call backs, refills, torture. New way: click on favorites, click on med, click on pharmacy, click.
- Coding: Old way: document as much as you can given time and hand-cramping restraints, stay within the bell curve for your specialty, then hope you don't get audited. new way: predesign your templates with appropriate level of E&M coding, see patient, hit enter, next.
- Lab and study tracking: Old way: give patients requisitions and hope they go and hope you get lab and hope lab is filed correctly and hope you don't miss anything bad. New way: select tests from check boxes in template, hit enter, system flags non-compliant patients, all results come to you automatically, electronically, effortlessly, and if you want it, graphically.
- Practice patterns: Old way: "this is how I do it." New way: pre-program best practice guidelines from professional organizations into your templates, then all appropriate tests and studies are orderd automatically, effortlessly.
- Coordination of care: Old way: dictate, wait for transcription, mail. Call doc, wait on hold, disturb. New way: select letter template, recipient, hit enter.