- Automatic: Your system should back-up without your needing to ask it to do so.
- Redundant: You must not leave all "eggs in one basket." This way, you will never lose your data.
- On-and Off-site: What if you have a fire or flood in the office?
- Daily: If you see more than 5-6 patients per day, you will not be able to remember encounters, let alone billing details.
- Versioned: If files are corrupt, versioning will prevent the corrupt file(s) from being propagated to subsequent back-ups.
- Recoverable: Back-up is only as good as your ability to retrieve the lost data.
If you have an EMR, you need to back-up.
Any other suggestions?