Friday, November 09, 2007

My letter to Senator Clinton

Dear Senator Clinton,

Please accept my apologies in advance for interrupting you from your campaign for President of the United States with this letter, but I feel impelled to do so. I am a solo practice urologist in Long Island who sees many patients with Medicare. As you may be aware, the costs of practicing medicine in Long Island are high and proposed cuts in Medicare reimbursement would have detrimental effects on my ability to remain in business. Please vote against them so that I may continue to practice the profession that I love and to serve the people who have served our nation.

Our nation faces many challenges both domestically and abroad. Perhaps the struggles of our nation’s urologists seem petty and provincial when compared to the struggles faced by our military, our citizens without any health insurance, and our economically pinched working and middle classes. But urologists are vital members of any community. As employers and business owners, we give much back to the society that gives to us. Please vote no to Medicare cuts that would hurt urologists in general but solo urologists like me disproportionately.

Again, please accept my apologies for interrupting you on your campaign trail and I wish you the best of luck in the race. I certainly have been and will continue to be a supporter of you.

Sincerely,

Richard A Schoor MD FACS