Saturday, November 10, 2007

Some Mistakes I've Made


Mistakes are part of life and cannot be avoided. As my grandfather, Pop Pop, used to say with his thick Russian accent, "Vichie, my mistake column is longer than my good decision column." Here are some mistakes I made over the last 18 months.
  • Makler Chamber: These are counting devices for semen analysis. $500 bucks each. Too labor intensive with regards to cleaning. I haven't used them in over 1 year.
  • Olympus Cx41 microscope: reticle counting grid compatibility issues with microcell counting chambers. Better to have gone with scopes used by RSofNY.
  • Overhead light source/OR light: waste of money $1200. Should have gone with a $50 lamp from Bed Bath & Beyond.
  • Bayer Automated Urine Anlayzer: $800 with 2 bottles of Multistix Pro dipsticks. Bad investment. Multistix Pro not reimbursed at higher level, except by M'Care. Lost money.
  • Phone system: $3000. On retrospect, still don't need it and could have gone cheaper with Cisco VOIP phones.
  • Cidex trays: Used for disinfection. $300+ dollars. Really glorified plastic trays. I don't know that I could not have just gone tupperware for much less.
And other still in progress and yet to be discovered. I will say before I go, however, that at the time, those purchases were well thought out and good intentioned, they just turned out to be wrong.
Hey, at least I didn't start a war by mistake!
Hope you enjoyed this post.
The IU.