Thursday, May 07, 2009

A reason to get involved

I used to shun service on committees. I saw it as a waste of time. Now I volunteer for them. I've come to view this type of service as valuable on many levels.

Currently I serve as my hospital's PI committee. PI stands for Performance Improvement. We review adverse events and try to learn from them in order to become better. One tool we use is the RCA: the root cause analysis.

I've started to apply lessons I have learned in PI to processes in my own practice. I am now in the process of developing a repeatable system of PI, based on the hospital's, for my own office. When lab's don't make the chart or a patient is upset over a delayed returned phone call, I do an RCA. So far the initial results have been encouraging.

I'll keep you posted.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T