- Explore: most places have something of historic interest or local charm. Get out of the hotel and take pictures, share them on Instagram.
- Go for a walk: just make sure you have phone service and can get back to your car in a reasonable time.
- Binge on a Netflix or HULU, etc series. This is good for the evenings.
- Write: start a blog or add to your existing blog. Better yet, write a book.
- Research: I write a lot academically and as part of a book project on which I am working. I save the lion share of my research work for my locum weekends
- CME: I do at least 50 to 100 hours per year and the majority of it I tend to do on locum call.
- Work out: most hotels have gyms and with apps like Peloton Digital and others, one can have a personal trainer-type experience very economically. Exercise also deceases stress, which can happen when on call.
- Go to a pet store. Playing with dogs is always a good way relieve stress and have fun.
- Meditate: Peloton Digital and other apps have terrific meditation leaders. I almost exclusively do this while on locum call.
- Take a bath: seriously. Soak in a tub. Just soak. Is so luxuriant. And I never do it while at home. Some hotels have hot tubs. That is nice option too.
- Take a swim: If your hotel has a pool, I suggest using it. Get goggles.
- Read a book for fun. The trashier the book, the better, IMHO.
- Do nothing. Seriously. Do nothing at all. How often to you get the do that. The Italians have a saying for this, Dolce far Niente, the sweetness of doing nothing.