Monday, November 24, 2008

How to Convert an EMR From A Cost into a Profit Center


Good EMRs are very expensive. I am about to upgrade my homegrown system into one of these very expensive yet equally powerful programs. In order to justify the expense, I've brainstormed some ways to convert the EMR from a cost center into a profit center. If I were to use the system in the following ways, I think I could actually increase my revenue in the coming years.

1. Increase contact with referring MDs and patient providers.
2. Use the system's data mining capabilities to augment marketing to specific patient groups.
3. Improve my practice's operational efficiency and then market that.
4. Automate time consuming and error prone processes and then free up staff time to market for me.
5. Use the software to more efficiently evaluate practice patterns and then transition into more profitable areas.

I'd love to hear from others about additional ways to make an EMR a profit center.



The IU