Thursday, November 02, 2006

Going Solo: Should you listen to the experts?

I like reading the Urology Times (http://www.urologytimes.com/urologytimes/). I like the format in which it is written. It allows me to rapidly scan through it and learn new things. I like the Urology Times especially for its articles on practice management. Usually they are written by practice management consultants, many of whom have written books, and who claim to have helped many practices find financial success. In general I have found their advice to be helpful and certainly interesting to read. However, a common thread runs through all of the experts' advice: hire more staff!
If your phones are not being answered, hire people to answer phones.
If patients are queing up in the waiting room, hire additional reception staff.
If you need help exiting patients, hire an exit staff.
If you need help in your lab, hire laboratory personell.
If you need to see more people, hire a scribe.
And etc.

News Flash:
Medicare and the Commercial Payors pay the same whether you have 2 or 20 or 200 employees. Repeat: Medicare and the Commercial Payors pay the same whether you have 2 or 20 or 200 employees.

Last night I was playing tennis with a buddy of mine who owns his own high tech manufacturing business (http://www.ijwhite.com/). Interestingly, he and I have some of the same problems and we began talking about consultants. And you know what he said. Consultants in his field say the same things as in the medical field: hire more staff!
Interesting! And he said that when ever he hires more staff, he ends up working harder! Interesting! In my own experience, this is true as well.

I am not sure that hiring more is the answer. And others agree with me. (see
www.idealmicropractice.org Is the micropractice the answer and is it feasible? We'll see.

Dr S
http://www.thexyfactor.com/