Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Need new patients? Donn the bow tie.


One day I just got bored wearing the same old thing day-in/day-out. But I do believe in professional dress and showing patients respect with, among other things, the clothing you wear. So one day, I went to Brooks Brothers, bought a bow tie and got a lesson on how to tie it. After 1 week and 10 unsuccessful attempts, I began wearing bow ties.
The response was actually unbelievable. Somebody commented on the bow tie each and every day for 1 solid year. Patients who I saw in the hospital would call my office to request to be seen and would say, "I can't recall his name, but I want to see the young doctor in the bow tie."
Though I did not do it as a marketing gimmick, it turned out to be one of the best marketing tools I have ever used.
Yes I still wear a bow tie. Yes I hand tie it. Wouldn't do it any other way.
Donn the bow tie.
The IU.