Friday, February 22, 2008

My high tech snow day

Despite global warming, the weather brought snow today to Suffolk County Long Island, where I have my urology practice. Fortunately I had a slow day in the office and was not really disrupted much by the snow. My biller however, was unable to get into the office. No biggy. Here's what we did:
  • Encounter forms were delivered to my biller by my MA, who lives in the same town as my biller. We could have faxed the biller the encounters or emailed them as well, though delivery was just as easy, and HIPAA compliant.
  • My biller VPN'd into the network, entered the charges, and submitted the claims electronically, just as if she was at her post in the office.
  • I left early as well and had phone calls forwarded to my cell phone.
  • From my cell phone and blue tooth wireless, I called in a prescription for antibiotics while I drove and deposited checks in the Commerce Bank drive-through..
  • When I arrived at home, I e-prescribed for another patient and electronically signed off on some labs via the VPN connection to the work station in my own office.
  • At one point, I was on the phone with my biller, who was remotely accessing her workstation from her home while I was remotely on my work station from my own home.
  • While I was at home, where I get little cell phone reception, I received a call from a local doctor's office. They called my office main line which forwarded to a VONAGE line in my home office. Had I been on the road, the VONAGE line would have simul-ringed on the cell phone. Since I was home, I simply picked up a cordless phone,and took down information on a new patient.
  • I did miss one call, but the number was logged on VONAGE, and I easily returned the call.
Maybe mundane to you, but I think it is pretty cool.
Thanks.
The IU.